TCT Minutes, January 6, 2014

PRESENT: Vince (Facilitator), Alan (Note Taker), Blaine, Lisa, Patricia, Neal

AGENDA:

  1. Fundraising matters
  2. Next meeting

January 6, 2014

FUNDRAISING MATTERS: We had a discussion about how we could go about raising funds. Patricia read the pitch she had written for the YouCaring site. We agreed that it was a good and factual explanation of the situation and what was needed.

Alan thought that perhaps we should have a “jumping off” spot on both our webpage and our Facebook page. This statement would invite people to imagine what it feels like to be homeless and make an emotional appeal. It would say something like “click here to help,” and then could link to the YouCaring site. We could think of this emotionally appealing pitch as a “launch pad” (to use Vince’s terms) and the YouCaring site could be the “landing pad.”

We could make a combination of the two in a letter or email. Vince thought we could possibly send it out to members of Associated Ministries.

We have the mailing list of those who attended our June 10 kickoff meeting. Patricia thought we could enlist the help of Kathleen Merryman in a publicity campaign. Alan suggested asking Occupy Tacoma if we could use their mailing list.

Vince suggested we work on the “launch pad” statement at this meeting. We threw out some ideas and Neal came up with a draft that he read to us. It flowed well and we thought it was a good draft. Neal will send a copy to Alan, who will in turn send it to Patricia. We will try to have something worked out by the next meeting. Patricia said would make minor tweaks to what was on the YouCaring site.

Vince thought we should emphasize the compelling story that TCT has to tell. This story recounts that although a tent city itself can only really be a temporary solution for any particular homeless individual, the problem is long-term, and Tacoma urgently needs something like a Tent City Tacoma. We have had success in explaining our plans to the City Planning Dept and Commission, and they seem to understand the need. They also seem to be on board with our project. This is also a part of our story. Vince emphasized the need for our statement to be concise, and we all agreed with that.

Alan will work on a graphic for the YouCaring site. He plans on having this graphic up by next meeting. This graphic can also be used for the website Facebook page. We need to really start publicizing the need for raising funds. He also plans on creating an artistic poster.

NEXT MEETING: The next meeting will be January 20, 2014 at 4 o’clock.

Thanks to Patricia for proofreading these minutes and checking them for accuracy —Editor


Respectfully submitted: Alan OldStudent

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>